The village of Buglawton became the seat of Simon Toucet in the 11th. Century, shortly after the Norman Conquest. The manor remained with the Touchet family throughout the whole of the mediaeval period; finally being granted to the Bagnall family in 1549 by Edward VI, following the death of Sir John Touchet. It was used mainly as a hunting lodge for shooting parties visiting Wildboarclough.
Randle Mainwaring of Over Peover bought the Manor in 1596 (Elizabeth I was on the throne) from Henry Bagnall for the grand sum of £150! It is thought that the earliest remaining elements of Buglawton Hall date from the 16th. Century, so it would seem that the Hall’s first expansion was either work carried out by the Bagnall family or Randle Mainwaring.
The manor stayed in the Bagnal family until it was conveyed to John Stafford of Macclesfield in 1743 by James Mainwaring (George II on the throne). It then passed to Samuel Edgerton of Tatton Park in 1761 (George III on the throne). By 1816 the owner was R. Keymer Esq.
Samuel Pearson, a silk merchant, bought the manor in 1823 (George IV had just come to the throne). It was during this period that the hall was castellated and stuccoed. Samuel died in 1871, having brought up 8 children in the hall. His widow continued to live here, followed by her eldest son, Samual. During this time a billiard hall and service wing were added.
Mary Faulder from Manchester and her sister owned the hall for 2 years, and by 1904 it was the residence of Joseph Maghull Yates. Maghull Yates was a Manchester barrister and became Lord Mayor of Congleton in 1910.
The Hall had a new owner by 1914, a David Mosely. In 1939 the Hall had become the residence of Charles Johnson who put the house ‘modernised throughout and in first class condition’ up for sale in 1947.
Manchester City Council eventually bought the Hall and Buglawton Hall School opened its doors to students in 1954.